The search for a missing baby in California has captured nationwide attention, as what began as a missing persons case has transformed into a murder investigation.
Emmanuel Haro, a 7-month-old baby from Cabazon, California, was reported missing on Aug. 14.
The child’s parents, 32-year-old Jake Mitchell Haro and 41-year-old Rebecca Renee Haro, have now been arrested in the baby’s death as the search for Emmanuel continues.
As the search for Emmanuel Haro, a missing 7-month-old child, seen here in this undated photo, continues, officials cannot “rule out foul play” as the mother’s story has contained inconsistencies, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.
San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department
Here is a timeline on what we know so far in the case.
Aug. 14
At approximately 7:47 p.m. on Aug. 14, a 7-month-old child, identified as Emmanuel Haro, was reported missing after the child’s mother, Rebecca Haro, “reported being attacked outside a retail store on Yucaipa Boulevard,” the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement.
She told officials that “while she stood outside her vehicle, changing the chid’s diaper, she was physically assaulted by an unknown male and rendered unconscious,” the sheriff’s department said.
When she woke up, the child was gone, the mother told officials.
Once on the scene, scent-tracking dogs were deployed, but the 7-month-old “was not located,” officials said.
Officials said this is an active investigation, no suspect information is available and they are “seeking the public’s help in locating the child.”
“He was last seen wearing a black Nike onesie, he weighs 21 pounds, is approximately 24 inches tall, has brown hair, brown eyes and is cross-eyed,” the sheriff’s department said in their initial statement on the child’s disappearance.
Aug. 15
The next day, authorities released another statement saying they were “continuing their search for the 7-month-old baby boy who was reportedly kidnapped last night in Yucaipa.”
The sheriff’s department said the baby “had not been found” and the investigators will “continue to work on this case to locate the child.”

Rebecca Haro, the mother of a missing 7-month-old child, has had inconsistencies in her statement regarding the disappearance of her son, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office.
KABC
The same day, Rebecca and Jake Haro spoke to Los Angeles ABC station KABC about Emmanuel’s disappearance. Rebecca Haro described her son as a “happy boy” and begged whoever had her son to “give him back to me.”
“Please don’t hurt my son,” Rebecca Haro told KABC.
“Whoever took our son, please bring him back,” Jake Haro told KABC during the same interview.
Aug. 16
Officials said they interviewed “multiple individuals” regarding the disappearance, including the child’s mother and father.
“During those interviews, Rebecca was confronted with inconsistencies in her initial statement and declined to continue with the interview,” the sheriff’s office said.
After those interviews, investigators were “unable to rule out foul play in the disappearance of Emmanuel,” officials said.
Aug. 18
Officials conducted “extensive searches in Yucaipa and Cabazon, looking for Emmanuel and any evidence that might lead to his location and circumstances surrounding his disappearance,” the sheriff’s department said in a press release on Aug. 18.
The officials have also “served several search warrants at the Haro home” and are reviewing a “large amount of surveillance video” from the areas of interest.
Aug. 19
Officials said they are looking into a reported sighting of Emmanuel Haro in Kern County, saying “no information on where in Kern County was provided.”
The same day, Jake Haro’s attorney, Vincent Hughes, provided a statement to ABC News, saying both parents “seek answers about their missing child” and that the father is “fully cooperating with law enforcement and investigators.”
Aug. 20
Jake and Rebecca Haro are seen leaving the Riverside Superior Juvenile Courts on Aug. 20, while the search for their child continues.
Aug. 22
Jake and Rebecca Haro were arrested at their residence in Cabazon for the murder of their son, officials said.
“Based on the evidence, investigators determined a kidnapping in Yucaipa did not occur. It is believed Emmanuel is deceased and the search to recover his remains is ongoing,” the sheriff’s department said in a statement after the parents’ arrest.

Detectives from the Sheriff’s Homicide Detail and Specialized Enforcement Division arrested Jake and Rebecca Haro at their residence in Cabazon, Calif., on Aug. 22, 2025. Investigators will continue their search for seven-month-old Emmanuel Haro.
San Bernadino County Sheriff’s Department
Officials said no other arrests have been made and no suspects remain outstanding, with the search for Emmanuel continuing.
“While these arrests mark a significant development, our focus remains on finding Emmanuel,” officials said.
Rebecca Haro was placed in custody at the Robert Presley Detention Center, while Jake Haro was booked into the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility, according to jail records.

Jake Haro, 32, and Rebecca Haro, 41, were arrested on Aug. 22 for the murder of their 7-month-old child, Emmanuel Haro, who has been missing since Aug. 14, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office.
Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office
Aug. 24
Officials conduct another search for Emmanuel “along the westbound shoulder of the 60 Freeway, near Gilman Springs Road, in Moreno Valley,” with Jake Haro and cadaver dogs accompanying detectives, authorities said.
The search concluded after “Emmanuel was not located,” authorities said.
Aug. 26
Jake and Rebecca Haro appeared in a California court on Aug. 26 in the wake of being charged with murder and making a false police report.

In this screen grab from a video, Rebecca Haro is shown in court, in Riverside County, Calif., on Aug. 26, 2025.
KABC

In this screen grab from a video, Jake Haro is shown in court, in Riverside County, Calif., on Aug. 26, 2025.
KABC
The two were in court for less than five minutes, with a $1 million bail set for both. Their arraignment is scheduled to continue on Sept. 4.
Aug. 27
During a press conference with the Riverside County District Attorney and members of law enforcement, officials said they have a “pretty strong indication” on the location of the remains of the 7-month-old and that the alleged murder of Emmanuel “was preventable in numerous ways.”
Officials also revealed they believe the child was “severely abused over a period of time” and that both parents “would have been aware of that abuse,” Riverside County District Attorney Michael Hestrin said.

Riverside County District Attorney Michael Hestrin provided an update on the search for Emmanuel Haro, the missing 7-month-old, and the murder charges placed on the child’s parents.
KABC
“The filing in this case reflects our belief that baby Emmanuel was abused over time and that eventually because of that abuse, he succumbed to those injuries,” Hestrin said.
Hestrin said Jake Haro, who he described as an “experienced child abuser,” “should have gone to prison” due to previously abusing another child he had with his ex-wife back in 2018, but a judge at the time granted him probation — a ruling that Hestrin called an “outrageous error in judgment.” Authorities said the child in that case has been left bedridden.
“If that judge had done his job as he should have done, Emmanuel would be alive today,” Hestrin said.
The post Baby Emmanuel Haro timeline: How the search for a missing 7-month-old turned into an alleged murder appeared first on abcnews.go.com